Login/Register With: Tapp eventually took his act south of the border to the popular American variety series “Hee Haw,” inspiring other Canadian performers to follow his lead.Earlier this year, comedian Colin Mochrie visited the Lasalle Park Retirement Living Community facility, where Tapp and his wife Helen lived, to pay tribute to the entertainer.During an onstage chat with Tapp, Mochrie said his career was influenced in part by “Hee Haw.”“For me, it was the first show where I realized that Canadians could make it big in America,” Mochrie said. “It was sort of an inspiration.”Despite his successes with “Hee Haw,” Tapp was resolute about staying in Canada, said his daughter Kate Tapp Mock.“We were all up here and Dad didn’t really think of himself as American. He was very proudly Canadian and he had enough work here,” she said. “He was a good family man.”Tapp also had an undercover role that brought much joy to radio listeners: playing Santa for Hamilton radio station CHML.“We kids used to have to stay out of my parents’ bedroom because he would use that phone and they would make it sound like he was calling from the North Pole. And for hours he would have to sit there and listen to all the kids and what they wanted for Christmas,” Tapp Mock said.In more recent years, Tapp was also known for appearing in TV commercials for Ultramatic beds, and was a committed philanthropist, raising funds for the Muscular Dystrophy Association and the Easter Seals Society.He is survived by his wife and his children Kate, Jeff and Barbara. Advertisement Facebook Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Canadian entertainer Gordie Tapp, a comedian, musician, script writer and pitchman, died Sunday from complications of pneumonia at age 94.Born in London, Ont., the member of the Order of Canada and Canadian Country Music Hall of Fame inductee kicked off his career in radio before moving into TV.During the 1950s, he was a founding member of “Main Street Jamboree,” a radio and TV show out of Hamilton, and hosted the CBC music-variety program “Country Hoedown” from 1956 to 1965. Twitter
APTN National NewsThe province of Ontario got a surprise last week. The economist they’d hired to help balance their books, Don Drummond, recommended cutbacks in every single government department — except for First Nations education.Ontario’s Minister of Aboriginal Affairs, Kathleen Wynne, agrees with Drummond, and is calling on the federal government to work with Ontario to “upgrade the education on reserve for First Nations kids”.
OTTAWA – The federal carbon pricing system for heavy emitters, softened last week to ease the impact on Canadian industry, could be amended even further this fall as Ottawa looks to address competitiveness fears in corporate Canada fuelled by U.S. tax cuts, tariffs and environmental policy roll backs.Environment Canada also now has to consult on the proposed plan with more than a dozen industrial sectors specific to Ontario that weren’t originally expected to be affected by the federal carbon pricing program because Ontario had its own system — now scrapped by Doug Ford’s new provincial government.That includes the auto sector, which is the next possible target for President Donald Trump’s tariffs, and breweries, who are paying more for their cans from the aluminum tariffs Trump has already imposed.Steel, which also had tariffs imposed by the U.S. in June, was one of the industries given the biggest break by Ottawa last week when Environment Minister Catherine McKenna increased the amount of emissions companies can produce before they have to start paying the carbon price. Those changes came after six months of consultations with affected industries who warned the government the proposed system was too onerous and could compel some of them to consider leaving Canada altogether.Manufacturers of steel, iron, lime, cement and nitrogen fertilizer will now have to pay the carbon price only on emissions that exceed 90 per cent of the average emissions in their sector. Other companies that produce more than 50,000 tonnes of greenhouse gases a year, will pay the carbon price on anything over 80 per cent.The original proposal McKenna made in January was to set that cap at 70 per cent for all industry.John Moffet, the associate assistant deputy minister at Environment and Climate Change Canada, said Thursday those changes may not be the last, and that economic pressures facing companies from things like U.S. tariffs are among the factors being looked at.“I would say the government is open to further changes across the board,” said Moffet.Environment Canada officials met with representatives from more than a dozen Ontario industries, including auto and auto parts manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies and a number of chemical firms, last week to begin the process of assessing how their competitiveness might be affected by the carbon price. The federal system will only be applicable in provinces without a federally approved carbon price system of their own.Although Ottawa won’t be assessing which provinces have such plans until September, Moffet said when the original consultations took place, the federal government analysed and consulted industries only in provinces that were expected to use the federal pricing program.The changes to the system have become political fodder for carbon price opponents — particularly the federal Conservatives and their provincial counterparts in Ontario, Saskatchewan and Alberta — who argue that scaling back the program to reduce the impact on business is an admission the carbon pricing system is bad for the economy. They want Ottawa to scrap the entire carbon pricing plan.The government says the plan all along was to set an initial target and then amend it after more specific review, and that the changes made will not have a material impact on the amount of greenhouse gases that will be cut from Canada’s total annual emissions. Moffet said the incentives to reduce emissions remain, even with a higher cap.Corporate Canada may also get help this fall from Finance Minister Bill Morneau, who is spending the summer listening to a wide range of perspectives on Canada’s competitiveness challenges. For months now Canadian businesses have been firing off warnings that Canada is at a deep disadvantage after recent changes like U.S. corporate tax reforms.Business associations want Ottawa to cut corporate taxes in Canada, arguing the U.S. tax changes could end up inflicting more damage on the Canadian economy than the possible termination of the North American Free Trade Agreement.A spokeswoman for Morneau said if he is to make any adjustments, they would be announced in his fall economic statement.The draft regulations finalizing the industrial component of Canada’s carbon pricing scheme are also expected this fall, with the final regulations not expected until the summer of 2019.
SINGAPORE — Southeast Asian leaders and China are touting progress in keeping peace in the contentious South China Sea as they work toward a “code of conduct” to govern navigation routes and other activities in the region.Speaking at the annual summit of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations in Singapore, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang cited the region’s management of territorial disputes as an example and said the trend was toward greater stability.Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said he wanted at “all cost” to set the rules governing behaviour in those seas to avoid trouble.Duterte told reporters that relations between China and its Southeast Asian neighbours were “excellent” and that friction was between Western nations and China. He said a code of conduct was needed to avoid dangerous miscalculations.The Associated Press
NEW DELHI: Special Cell of Delhi police on Tuesday busted an extortion racket being operated from the Mandoli jail premises and have arrested two henchmen of a Ghaziabad-based gang before they could execute a plan of several murders to establish supremacy in Ghaziabad. They were working at behest of one dreaded gangster Chanderbhan alias Aman Yadav who is currently lodged in Mandoli Jail. The arrested gangsters have been identified as Bal Krishna and Mohd Ateek, both are residents of Khora Colony, Ghaziabad. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderDCP Special cell, Pramod Singh Kushwaha said that a team of Special cell was monitoring the activities of illegal arms and ammunition supplies for few days. “Through sources, we got to know that some of the gang leaders lodged in the jail, have been procuring sophisticated weapons to eliminate their rivals and establish supremacy in their area for running extortion network,” said DCP Kushwaha. “Chanderbhan from Mandoli Jail, had tasked his associates to eliminate two persons to establish his authority in Ghaziabad’s Khoda Colony for running a smooth extortion racket. He was passing instructions to his henchmen to execute the killings of two persons whenever they sight them in the area. The henchmen arrested are hardcore criminals and were previously involved in many heinous crimes,” DCP said. Police recovered a stolen sports bike and arms-ammunition intended to be used in the commission of the crime. Following the arrest, a subsequent search of Jail 11 of Mandoli Jail was conducted and a diary containing the details of Ateek was recovered from the gang leader. The 27-year-old gang leader, Chandrabhan, is a school dropout. He was first arrested in 2009 for a murder case.
Los Angeles: Actor Maisie Williams, who plays Arya Stark in ‘Game of Thrones’, says the first season of the show plays a huge role in what happens in the eighth and final season of the fantasy drama. Details about the final season of the HBO series are few and far between but the cast has teased a “bittersweet” ending. In an interview with the Entertainment Weekly, Williams said she re-watched the first season. “After reading the scripts I went back and watched season one again because so much of it refers back to that season,” Williams said. Also Read – I have personal ambitions now: Priyanka”There are so many scenes that will look similar. And also I watched just to remind myself of the arc I’ve taken already, she added. Williams said Arya will strive to find normalcy without letting go off her plan to kill Cersei. “This year it’s like she has a dual personality there are so many emotions and memories that come flooding back when you’re with your family and the things that you fight for become very different, yet she’s also remaining on this path to try and kill Cersei,” she said.
New Delhi: Around 62.5 per cent people voted in the fifth round of the national election – up from 61.76 in 2014 – that was marked by sporadic incidents in parts of Bengal and Jammu and Kashmir. This phase, the leanest with polling on 51 seats, was crucial in view of the high-profile candidates.According to the Election Commission, over 57.33 per cent of 2.47 crore eligible people cast their vote in 14 seats in Uttar Pradesh, where political heavyweights like Congress’ Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi and Union ministers Rajnath Singh and Smriti Irani were in the fray. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange frameworkIn Rajasthan, 63.78 per cent polling was recorded in 12 seats, while it was 63.88 per cent in seven constituencies in Madhya Pradesh, 57.86 per cent five seats in Bihar and 63.72 in four seats in Jharkhand that went to polls on Monday. The voter turnout was 74.42 in seven seats in West Bengal. In Jammu and Kashmir, 64 per cent polling was recorded in Ladakh but the turnout was barely three per cent in militancy-infested Shopian and Pulwama districts in the final of the three-phase election to Anantnag constituency held amid militant threats and boycott call by separatists in Kashmir. Also Read – Trio win Nobel Medicine Prize for work on cells, oxygenMilitants lobbed a grenade towards Rohmoo polling station and set off an explosion at another polling booth in Tral in Pulwama but no one was injured in the two incidents. The overall turnout was 8.76 per cent as against 28.54 per cent in 2014 in Anantnag where 18 candidates are in the fray including PDP president and former chief minister of Jammu and Kashmir Mehbooba Mufti. In the high profile Amethi seat, Union minister and BJP candidate Smriti Irani alleged that her rival and Congress president Rahul Gandhi was “ensuring booth capturing” and also tagged a video on Twitter in which an elderly women alleged that her hand was forcibly put on ‘panja’ (hand) election symbol of the Congress. But the Chief Electoral Officer said the matter was “examined thoroughly and found baseless”. The turnout was 53 per cent in Amethi, 53.68 per cent in Raebareli and around 53 per cent in Lucknow. The BJP had bagged 12 of the 14 seats in 2014 with the Congress winning Rae Bareli and Amethi. In Rajasthan, where polling concluded Monday, an overall turnout of 66.12 per cent in 25 seats was recorded in the two phases. An official said “minor issues related to EVMs were reported at some places” in Madhya Pradesh “but they were sorted out”. Over 8.75 crore electors were to decide the fate of 674 candidates in the fifth phase Monday. With this phase, the election is over in 424 seats and polling in the remaining 118 seats will be held on May 12 and 19.
Ernesto Valverde admits he is not unsettled by Barcelona’s draw against Valencia claiming they had the right mentality in the game.“The game was an uphill task for us from the first kick,” he said after Sunday’s 1-1 draw at Mestalla.“The first corner went past everyone and we had to roll up our sleeves for the equaliser.“They had the momentum of being 1-0 up and were dangerous on the break as a result.“We were a bit stunned but as the match progressed, and after we equalised, I felt we had enough chances to win.“They didn’t want to leave us any space so they could find the winner on the counter and ultimately it ended a draw.“Mestalla is a difficult place to go to. The fans spur their team on and if there’s a good counterattacking team, it’s Valencia.Quiz: How much do you know about David Villa? Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Time to test your knowledge about Spanish legendary forward David Villa.“You can put a lot of money together and they’ll make you pay for your mistakes.“With Gameiro, Guedes, and Cheryshev, they had forwards who could run. Luckily Messi scored a great goal.“I’m not annoyed about the goal we conceded. The team came out with the right mentality. Four days ago we scored a goal after two minutes, today we conceded one.“We analysed last week, which was a difficult week, especially the Leganes game, which hurt us.“I think we played in the same vein as how we did in London. We tried to lift the game with our style, but it was difficult. We have a slightly sad taste in our mouths.“We played four days ago, but they did five days ago. When your opponents sit back, it’s difficult.”
Proposition No. 1General Obligation Bonds to Pay the Local Required Match Portion of the Costs of the Kachemak-Selo New K-12 School (to be voted on by all voters) Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Polls will be open for the Kenai Peninsula Borough Regular Municipal Election on October 2, from 7am to 8pm. Early voting began on September 17. To register to vote in the local election you must be at least 18 years of age registered as a resident of the Kenai Peninsula Borough at least 30 days before the election.,There are three propositions that will be on the upcoming ballot for residents of the Kenai Peninsula for the municipal election on October 2. For Kenai City Council: There are two open seats on the council: Incumbent Bob Molloy will face off with Teea Winger and Robert Peterkin II. For the seats open on the Kenai Peninsula Borough assembly: For District 1, K-Beach: incumbent Brent Hibbert is unopposed. For District 6, East Peninsula: incumbent Kenn Carpenter is unopposed For District 9, South Peninsula: incumbent Willy Dunne will face off with Troy Jones of Homer. Board of Education: Three seats are open: One incumbent, Mike Illg of Homer, will go into the election unchallenged. In the Kenai area incumbent Tim Navarre will face off with Matthew Morse to represent District 2 on the board. Proposition No. 1General Obligation Bonds to Pay the Local Required Match Portion of the Costs of the Kachemak-Selo New K-12 School (to be voted on by all voters) The proposed new area of the Central Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area as should “the common boundary line between the Central Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area and the South Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area be moved south by about 15 miles to Barbara Drive in Ninilchik?” For Soldotna City Council: There are three open seats- with three candidates: Two incumbents, Paul Whitney and Justin Ruffridge will retain their seats. Jordan Chilson, filed for the third open seat. The proposed new area of the Central Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area as should “the common boundary line between the Central Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area and the South Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area be moved south by about 15 miles to Barbara Drive in Ninilchik?” To required match for the borough is a $5,450,000 issuance bond for the Kenai Peninsula Borough to pay the local required match portion of the costs of ohe Kachemak-Selo new K-12 School construction project. There are three propositions that will be on the upcoming ballot for residents of the Kenai Peninsula for the municipal election on October 2. Proposition No. 3Expanding the South Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area to Include the Land South of Kachemak Bay Excluding the City of Seldovia (to be voted on by voters in the South Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area and the new proposed area) Proposition No. 2Amending the Code to Move the Common Boundary Between the Central Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area and the South Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area (to be voted on by voters in the Central Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area and the Proposed new Area) The proposed new southern area of the South Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area will be asked “shall the southern boundary line of the South Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area around Kachemak Bay be moved south?” Proposition No. 3Expanding the South Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area to Include the Land South of Kachemak Bay Excluding the City of Seldovia (to be voted on by voters in the South Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area and the new proposed area) Proposition No. 2Amending the Code to Move the Common Boundary Between the Central Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area and the South Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area (to be voted on by voters in the Central Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area and the Proposed new Area) The proposed new southern area of the South Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area will be asked “shall the southern boundary line of the South Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area around Kachemak Bay be moved south?” To required match for the borough is a $5,450,000 issuance bond for the Kenai Peninsula Borough to pay the local required match portion of the costs of ohe Kachemak-Selo new K-12 School construction project.