Please tell us what you think about these things or share your thoughts on whatever you’re thinking about in our “Readers’ Forum”.FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmail
A federal judge on Thursday ordered the immediate release of Chelsea Manning from jail, saying “her detention no longer serves any coercive purpose.”The former intelligence analyst’s legal team revealed Wednesday that she tried to commit suicide earlier that day, but was taken to a hospital where she is recovering.Manning has been incarcerated since last May for refusing to testify before a grand jury investigating WikiLeaks. She was scheduled to appear in federal court in Alexandria, Virginia, on Friday for a hearing on a motion to terminate the civil contempt sanctions which arose from that refusal. In the motion filed last month, her attorneys argued that Manning has shown during her time behind bars that she cannot be forced to testify before a grand jury. Manning previously served seven years in a military prison for making public a trove of WikiLeaks documents, before President Barack Obama commuted the remainder of her 35-year sentence before he left office in 2017.Alexandria Sheriff Dana Lawhorne said Wednesday: “There was an incident at approximately 12:11 p.m. today at the Alexandria Adult Detention Center involving inmate Chelsea Manning. It was handled appropriately by our professional staff and Ms. Manning is safe.”Andy Stepanian, a spokesman for Manning’s legal team, said in a statement on Wednesday that Manning “remains unwavering in her refusal to participate in a secret grand jury process that she sees as highly susceptible to abuse.”
Facebook21Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Senior Services for South SoundThis holiday season, we hope you’ll Share the Love by supporting vulnerable seniors nationwide. Since the Share the Love Event began in 2008, Subaru and its participating retailers have donated nearly 2 million meals, safety checks and friendly visits to seniors being served by local Meals on Wheels programs across the country.The need to feed seniors grows! One out of seven seniors struggle with hunger, over 16 million are isolated and over 18 million living in poverty. Meals on wheels delivers the support that keeps seniors in their homes, where they want to be.As part of a national partnership with Meals on Wheels America, for every new vehicle sold or leased from November 15, 2018, through January 2, 2019, Subaru of America will donate $250 to the purchaser’s choice of participating charities – one of which is Meals on Wheels offered by Senior Services for South Sound. Help us end senior hunger! For more information, visit www.mealsonwheelsamerica.org/sharethelove.
Facebook3Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Washington State Employment Security DepartmentThurston county unemployment rates and employment data for November 2018 are now available online. Use the historical estimates report to view prior months’ data.Please keep in mind: Unemployment rates at the county level are not seasonally adjusted because the sample size is too small to accommodate that additional analysis. Therefore, they should not be compared directly to the seasonally adjusted statewide rate that we announced last week (Monthly employment report).ESD has labor market information and tools, including a video tutorial to showcase popular information and data.Labor area summaries: https://esd.wa.gov/labormarketinfo/labor-area-summariesFeatured photo credit
SEA BRIGHT – A day at the borough’s beach, beginning and ending with a ferry ride through New York’s harbor with a view of the Statue of Liberty and no parking problems, that’s what SeaStreak ferry service will be offering in a combined ferry ride and shuttle service from New York to Sea Bright and back on weekends starting on Saturday, July 11.In addition, the borough will not charge the usual $8 beach fee for the passengers.Borough Administrator Joseph Verruni said Monday that the mayor and Borough Council “have worked hard” to put the new service in operation.“It’s an exciting opportunity for Sea Bright,” he said and a win for the town and the merchants.One of the benefits of the service would be keeping more cars and traffic out of the town.The boats will leave from Wall Street and East 35th St. in Manhattan in the morning and dock in Highlands from where the passengers will board a free shuttle to Sea Bright, and in the evenings ride the shuttle from the borough back to the boats.The fee for the service will be $45 round trip, with children 5 to 12 paying $17 and those under 5 free.The early ferry is scheduled to leave East 35th St. at 8 a.m. and Wall Street at 8:15 a.m. and arrive at Highlands at 9:05 a.m. with the shuttle leaving at 9:10 a.m. and arriving at Sea Bright at 9:35 a.m.The later boat will leave East 35th St. at 10:30 a.m. and Wall Street at 11 a.m. and get to Highlands at 11:50 a.m., where the shuttle will depart at 11:55 a.m. and be in Sea Bright at 12:20 p.m., according the schedule.Coming back to New York, the schedule said the shuttles will depart from the borough at 4:35 p.m. to arrive at Highlands at 5:20 p.m. for a 5:30 p.m. ferry which will reach East 35th St. at 6:20 p.m. and Wall Street at 6:45 p.m.The 6:35 p.m. shuttle from Sea Bright will get to Highlands at 7:20 p.m. for passengers to board the 7:30 p.m. ferry which arrives at East 35th St. at 8:30 p.m. and Wall Street at 8:15 p.m., according to the schedule.Asked about the possibility of problems that could be encountered by the shuttles from the heavy traffic on Ocean Avenue on weekends from Sandy Hook and area beach clubs, Brett Chamberlain, director of marketing at SeaStreak said that if it is necessary the shuttle could take a different route from the borough to Highlands using the Rumson Sea Bright Bridge.“We’ll probably end up doing it all summer, if there is enough demand,” he said when asked how long the new service would continue, “We’re very hopeful.”“We’re always looking for new ways to transport our customers,” Chamberlain said, and Sea Bright “is a great place to come.”Sea Streak already provides daily ferry service to Sandy Hook in the summer with several boats from New York docking on the bay side and free shuttle service to the ocean beaches.– By Liz Sheehan
Senator Brian O’Domhnaill claimed the gold medal at the North & Central American and Caribbean World Masters Athletics (NCCWMA) Regional Championships in Toronto, Canada on Friday. The Donegal senator, who was competing in the 10,000 metres walk, came first for his age and fifth overall in the event, clocking a time of 51.23.Brian well on his way to victory!Reacting on social to the victory, the Cloughaneely man said:(I’m) thrilled to win gold in my age category and obtain the 5th place overall. “Hard work pays off and days like this make all the sacrifices and early morning / late evening training worthwhile. Thank you to everyone who has sent me messages and good luck wishes – it is greatly appreciated.”He added: “I am pretty pleased with the outcome and grateful for the opportunity of being able to compete. Ultimately in a major championship race, it’s always brilliant to be on the podium.”Survival of the fittest: Donegal senator takes gold at athletics event in Canada! was last modified: July 21st, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
SINGAPORE — Southeast Asian leaders and China are touting progress in keeping peace in the contentious South China Sea as they work toward a “code of conduct” to govern navigation routes and other activities in the region.Speaking at the annual summit of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations in Singapore, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang cited the region’s management of territorial disputes as an example and said the trend was toward greater stability.Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said he wanted at “all cost” to set the rules governing behaviour in those seas to avoid trouble.Duterte told reporters that relations between China and its Southeast Asian neighbours were “excellent” and that friction was between Western nations and China. He said a code of conduct was needed to avoid dangerous miscalculations.The Associated Press
Kolkata: Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) is taking over the maintenance of Citizens’ Park, popularly known as Mohor Kunja, situated on Cathedral Road beside Victoria Memorial.The decision has been approved at the Member, Mayor-in-Councils’ (MMiC) meeting that was chaired by Mayor Firhad Hakim on Saturday. Reliance Industries that had taken over the maintenance of the park in 2015, had written to the KMC a few days ago, expressing its unwillingness to carry on with the park’s maintenance. Also Read – Centuries-old Durga Pujas continue to be hit among revellers”We are taking over the maintenance of Citizen’s Park as the private company associated with its maintenance is no longer willing to continue its upkeep,” said Debasish Kumar, MMiC (Parks & Gardens). It may be mentioned that Reliance Industries had taken over the park’s maintenance in 2015 and was supposed to maintain the urban park for five years. The civic body had made it clear that they will not be able to do any commercial venture out of the park. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaHowever, the company wrote to the Director General of the Parks & Garden department of the civic body, expressing its willingness to move out of the contract. When asked about the reason behind Reliance opting out of the contract, Kumar refused to comment. The park, which had started its journey in 2005, was one of the most vaunted projects of the erstwhile Trinamool Congress board, with Subrata Mukherjee as the Mayor. It was named as Citizens Park.
New Delhi: Net employment generation in the formal sector touched a 17-month high of 8.96 lakh in January, according to the latest EPFO payroll data. The EPFO has been releasing payroll data from April 2018, covering the period starting September 2017. The addition in January was 131 per cent higher as compared with 3.87 lakh EPFO subscribers added in the year-ago month. In September 2017, a net of 2,75,609 jobs were created. Around 76.48 lakh new subscribers were added to social security schemes of the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) from September 2017 to January 2019, the data showed. This indicates that these many jobs were created in the formal sector over the past 17 months. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’ The net EPFO enrolment in January 2019 stood at 8,96,516, which is the highest since September 2017. The EPFO, however, revised slightly downwards its payroll data for December 2018 by 1.8 per cent to 7.03 lakh, against the earlier estimate of 7.16 lakh released last month. It also revised the cumulative job addition data for the September 2017-December 2018 period downwards 6.6 per cent to 67.52 lakh, from the earlier forecast of 72.32 lakh. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&K The sharpest revision was for March 2018 in the latest report which showed contraction or exit of 29,023 members from the EPFO subscriptions whereas last month’s estimated addition of 5,498 members. The EPFO data showed that the March 2018 figure is negative due to large number of exits reported in March, in view of it being the closing month of the financial year. During January 2019, the highest number of 2.44 lakh jobs were created in the 22-25 years age group, followed by 2.24 lakh in the 18-21 years age bracket. The data of the exited members is based on the claims submitted by the individuals and establishments and the exit data uploaded by employers, whereas the number of new subscribers is based on the Universal Account Number (UAN) generated in the system and those who have received non-zero subscription. The EPFO said the data is provisional as updation of employee records is a continuous process and gets updated in subsequent months. This is age-band wise data of new members registered under the EPFO where the first non-zero contribution received during particular month. For each age-wise band, the estimates are net of the members newly enrolled, exited and rejoined during the month as per records of the EPFO, it added. The estimates may include temporary employees whose contributions may not be continuous for the entire year. Members’ data are linked to unique Aadhaar Identity, it added. The EPFO manages social security funds of workers in the organised/semi organised sector in India and has more than 6 crore active members (with at least one-month contribution during the year).
Mumbai: Tobaccos-to-hotels major ITC is planning to expand its dairy beverages portfolio to the rest of the country by the next summer and is eyeing a 5-10 percent market share in the first year of operations. ITC’s food division already offers fruits-based beverages for the past four five years and also dairy-based beverages which have been soft-launched in the South last December. The company entered the ready-to-drink milk-based beverages market with the launch of Sunfeast Wonderz Milk last December. The milkshake market is around Rs 1,000 crore. Also Read – Commercial vehicle sales to remain subdued in current fiscal: Icra”We would be extending our dairy beverage business and will be launching across the country by the next summer. We expect to clock 5-10 percent of the Rs 1,000-crore market in the first year of operations,” Sanjay Singal, chief operating officer for dairy and beverages unit at ITC said here. Kolkata-based company is also planning to export its dry fruits-based dairy beverages badam milkshake to Dubai and Saudi Arabia. The company had also rolled out packaged milk and curds under its Aashirvaad brand in Kolkata and Bihar. Also Read – Ashok Leyland stock tanks over 5 pc as co plans to suspend production for up to 15 daysSingal said the company would focus only in the Eastern markets for the packaged milk business in the foreseeable future, where there is less competition. ITC Friday launched three fruit beverages under its B Natural brand in PET bottles. It currently sells nine flavours of fruit juices in tetra packs and has a market share of 9-10 percent in the Rs 2,000-crore fruit beverages segment. Singal also said within a month, it will launch vegetable juices and is evaluating opportunities in the water segment.