Tag:

杭州夜网会所

World Bank to Give Nearly US$400M to Fight Ebola

first_imgFollowing alarming evidence of the spread of the Ebola epidemic in West Africa, the World Bank Group has announced that it will nearly double its financing to US$400 million to help the worst-affected countries address the emergency and build stronger health systems for the years ahead.This represents US$170 million in new funding. With Thursday, September 25th announcement, the Bank will put US$230 million toward the emergency response and US$170 million for medium- and long-term projects.According to a World Bank statement issued, the new resources – which the World Bank’s Board of Executive Directors will consider in the coming weeks – will be targeted at rapidly increasing the health care workforce and purchasing needed supplies in order to bring care and treatment to all parts of the affected countries. The funding also is aimed at building a stronger health care system because it will aim to train cadres of health workers to bolster care at a community level throughout the affected region.“The global community is now responding with the urgency and the scale needed to begin to turn back this unprecedented Ebola crisis,” said World Bank Group President Jim Yong Kim, who was speaking today at a special session on the Ebola crisis at the United Nations. “The real challenge now is to bring care and treatment to the most remote areas as well as the cities and then to build a stronger health care system. This funding will help the countries start a massive scale up of training of community health workers and bring needed supplies and equipment.”The World Bank Group previously announced that it was mobilizing US$230 million for the three countries hardest hit by the crisis—Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone—including a US$117 million emergency response.This support – coordinated closely with the World Health Organization (WHO), the United Nations, the United States, and other international and country partners – has assisted countries in treating the sick, cope with the economic impact, and improve their public health systems.The additional planned support will make US$113 million that had been earmarked in the earlier package for longer-term help immediately available for the emergency response. The new package will have US$170 million set aside in medium- to longer-term assistance for the countries’ health systems.More people have died in the 2014 Ebola epidemic in West Africa than in all previous Ebola outbreaks combined since the virus was first discovered in 1976.  A World Bank analysis, released last week, found that if the virus continues to surge in the three worst-affected countries, its economic impact could deal a potentially catastrophic blow to these already fragile states.However, the analysis also found that economic costs can be limited if swift national and international responses succeed in containing the epidemic and mitigating fear resulting from people’s concerns about contagion, which is fueling the economic impact.“This is a humanitarian catastrophe, first and foremost,” Kim said. “But the economic ramifications are very broad and could be long lasting. Our assessment shows a much more severe economic impact on affected countries than was previously estimated. We have been greatly encouraged by the major increase in assistance given by the international community, but now all of us have to deliver on the ground to match the scale of the crisis. ”The bulk of the emergency financing provided to date—us$105 million in grants out of the US$117 million package—was approved by the World Bank Group’s Board of Executive Directors on September 16, 2014, and is new money provided in grants from our IDA Crisis Response Window. The other US$12 million in the emergency financing was reallocated at the end of August 2014 from existing health projects in Liberia and Sierra Leone (US$6 million per country) to make some funds immediately available. As of Thursday morning the Bank had already transferred 80 percent of the US$117 million package to the three Governments and UN agencies with the remainder of funds to be disbursed by the end of the week.These funds are being used to pay for essential supplies and drugs, personal protective equipment and infection prevention control materials, health workers training, hazard pay and death benefits to Ebola health workers and volunteers, contact tracing, vehicles, data management equipment and door-to-door public health education outreach. The Bank has been supporting country responses in line with the WHO Roadmap.“We can—we must—all move more swiftly to contain the spread of Ebola and help these countries and their people. Too many lives have been lost already, and the fate of thousands of others depends upon a response that can contain and then stop this epidemic,” said Kim.A World Bank Group analysis of the Ebola epidemic released last week warned that if the virus continues to surge in the three worst-affected countries – Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone – its economic impact could grow eight-fold. However, the analysis found that economic costs can be limited if swift national and international responses succeed in containing the epidemic and mitigating “aversion behavior” – a fear factor resulting from peoples’ concerns about contagion, which is fueling the economic impact.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

‘Burning Buses Not Solution to Accidents,’ -Sekou Kamara

first_imgOne of the ‘Killer Bean’ bus on Johnson Street yesterday in MonroviaSekou Kamara, a driver of one of the yellow American school buses popular known as ‘Killer Bean,’  says angry residents burning buses whenever there is a tragic accident is not the solution to the problem.In an interview with the Daily Observer yesterday following the resumption of operation of the buses which were grounded after angry commercial motorcyclists razed one on Battery Factory Road on Monday, Kamara said such an action does not ease the pain of the tragedy.Kamara said bus owners and stakeholders held meetings on Wednesday and Thursday, and the owners agreed to put their buses back on the road.He said the buses have third party insurance coverage and so whenever there is an accident, common sense should lead everyone involved to dialogue in order to resolve the problem.“In the incident on Monday, the motorbike rider ran his bike in front of the bus and because it is a large vehicle, the bus driver could not avoid what happened,” he said.Kamara rejected claims that because ‘Killer Bean’ buses are huge, their drivers don’t provide space for other road users.Sekou Kamara appeals to Liberians to avoid mob action because it does not solve the problem“Sometimes other vehicles and motorbikes try to overtake when the bus driver is not aware of their action,” he said. “So other road users should make sure that whenever they are behind any such large vehicles they should allow some space between them.”Kamara said overtaking any huge vehicle when that driver is unaware is extremely dangerous, “and they must work hard to avoid that.”He said he regrets the death of Victor Morris, who was crushed to death after reportedly crossing in front of the bus on Monday evening.Kamara said all yellow buses were back on the streets early yesterday morning plying their normal routes, including trips to Red Light, Gardnersville, New Georgia, Topoe Village – all on Somalia Drive, and destinations on Bushrod Island.The temporary withdrawal of the buses from the streets caused enough transportation difficulties for commuters, who appealed to commercial motorcycle riders to avoid mob action and allow the Liberia National Police to handle such cases.“The Liberia National Police must be vigorous against mob action,” a commuter told the Daily Observer in an interview on Johnson Street in Monrovia.The yellow American school buses got the name ‘Killer Bean’ from Killer Bean Forever a 2009 computer-animated action film that tells the story of an anthropomorphic coffee bean assassin named Jack Bean, known as Killer Bean, who was a no-nonsense killer who made light use of his enemies. Like the movie, the yellow American school bus “is like a Roadmaster that exerts its position on the road so that vehicles, motorbikes and other road users always stay clear when it is coming,” said a young woman who spoke to the Daily Observer last night. “When the yellow bus, with its huge side, is moving down the road, all vehicles give way,” she said.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

GAA: NAOMH COLUMBA GAA NOTES

first_imgNaomh Columba 06.09.2011Many congratulations to our under 14 team, and to their managers, Gabriel O’Neill and Andrew Gillespie, on their fantastic county final victory on Friday night last. Our lads overcame Aodh Rua, Killygordon in a breathtaking affair in Davy Brennan Memorial Park, Glenties. Well done to all involved – the club & parish are very proud! Anyone who has photos from Friday night, and who would be happy to have them included in a club display , please contact Caitríona Nic Seoin. Our seniors suffered a disappointing defeat to St Michaels on Sunday last, despite a good display in the first half. The reserves fared better, winning with a seven point margin. We are scheduled to play host to Milford in the second leg of the championship this weekend. Games are set for Saturday, 4.30pm and 6pm starts in Páirc na nGael. Please come along and support the lads. The next club meeting is scheduled for Thursday, September 8th, at 9.15pm in the clubhouse. We have been requested to start compiling information for the 2011 county yearbook, which will be launched at county convention. Can all managers please compile a few words to sum up their teams season, and forward onto Caitríona – pronaomhcolumba@gmail.com / 086 1970127. Ádh mór: to everyone heading away to college in the coming weeks. We wish you all the best. Pilates classes are resuming for the new season, and will take place every Tuesday evening, at 7pm, in the clubhouse at Páirc na nGael. For further information, please contact Rosie on 087 9927829. Níor bhaineadh lotto na seachtaine seo caite. Uimhreacha: 11. 16. 23. 24. Duaiseanna Aitheantais: Siún Donovan, Cill Chartha. Seamus Doherty, Mín an Aoire. Proinnsias Kennedy, Mín an Aoire. Clement O Gara, An Charraig. Owen Carr, An Caiseal. Lotto na seachtaine seo chugainn (6/9/2011) €4800.GAA: NAOMH COLUMBA GAA NOTES was last modified: September 6th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GAA: NAOMH COLUMBA GAA NOTESlast_img read more