The Guyanese Diaspora in the Tri-state New York area will once again be able to celebrate Guyana’s independence in full pomp and splendor. The Guyana Independence Anniversary Celebration Committee (New York) has announced their calendar of events which will take place from June 3–10 in Brooklyn. This year’s event will be themed ‘Celebrate Guyana To the World.’ The annual celebration is the largest independence commemoration outside of Guyana’s shores.The ceremonial honours at the commemorative event will once again feature collaborations between members of the Disciplined Services of Guyana and their Guyanese-American counterparts in the United States Armed Forces. The Committee disclosed that this move is part of their patriotic duty.Director of the Committee, Nevlon Duguid, has disclosed that the New York-based committee had first organised a successful Jubilee celebration which garnered the attendance of over 20,000 Guyanese nationals.Meanwhile, the 2017 celebration attracted over 10,000 nationals. Duguid expressed the hope of attracting even larger numbers of Guyanese for the 2018 celebrations, referencing the great feedback the Committee has received. The Committee’s website has since received over four million hits. He urged the Guyanese population in the Tri-State area to come out and ‘Celebrate Guyana to the world’.This year’s festivities will kick off with the flag-raising ceremony on June 3, the annual Guyana Independence Parade (Mashramani in New York) and the annual Guyanese Unity Concert following on the same day. On June 9 there will be a Guyana Independence Festival and the celebration will culminate with the Independence Cup Soccer Tournament on June 10.The Guyana Independence celebration has become the second largest West Indian celebration in New York, second only to the annual Labour Day parade. Duguid stated that organizsations, businesses, groups, or individuals who are interested in participating in the celebration, placing a truck or float on the parade, or in vending, should contact the Committee as soon as possible.Last year’s Unity Concert was graced with performances by Jamaican Dancehall star Charlie Black; Guyana’s own, Jumo “Rubber Waist” Primo; Adrian Dutchin; Lisa Punch; and various other artistes. They were accompanied by the Queens-based, Guyanese owned Angel’s Caribbean Band. It was hinted that a surprise international artiste will headline this year’s Unity Concert and patrons were urged to get their tickets as early as possible.Tickets will go on sale on May 1.
The financial regulator in the North has obtained full control of over Stg£20m from a crook Francois de Dietrich.More than 200 Donegal people lost millions in the scam run from offices in Ballybofey – and exposed by donegaldaily.com.The Financial Services Authority (FSA) secured judgment at the High Court in Belfast in its case against him and his firm ETIC Solutions. A judge ruled the FSA was entitled to recover all losses of ETIC’s clients.Mr Justice Deeny said: “The sum involved only consists of deposits and not of the sums promised to the investors in this illegal investment scheme.”The order represents the total amount identified as having been deposited in the scheme. Interest was also included in the order at a rate set at 6%.Mr Justice Deeny declined to fix interest at a more punitive level. “We don’t at this stage know the profits made by the defendants and I’m unwilling to speculate on this at the present time,” he added.Legal costs were also awarded to the FSA. The summary judgment, delivered without a full trial of the issues, was for Stg£21,556,576 in total.Laura Gillespie, a lawyer at McGrigors who has been acting on behalf of the FSA, says: “We welcome today’s decision which is a major step forward in the litigation against Mr. De Dietrich.“The result again demonstrates that the authorities are committed to stamping out wrongdoing no matter where it takes place.”An injunction to stop de Dietrich accessing or moving any funds remains in force.Scores of people on both sides of the Irish border, many based in the Donegal area, invested in the scheme which promised high returns.However, de Dietrich disappeared leaving investors with massive losses.The FSA then intervened and froze more than £20m in assets linked to de Dietrich. He has insisted that his businesses were legitimate and that he was working to return all outstanding money.Francois is living in a village in France – tracked down by the BBC earlier this year.In January he was jailed in his absence for 18 months for contempt of court in failing to fully disclose his worldwide assets.Lawyers representing de Dietrich are due to appeal against the prison sentence next month.They are expected to argued that the order for full disclosure was draconian and that he complied with requirements to reveal all business interests on either side of the order.CROOK FRANCOIS LOSES COURT CASE was last modified: December 16th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:crookFrancois de Dietrichon the runscamthief