Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew MOST READ LOOK: Jia Morado gets game-worn jersey from longtime volleyball idol LATEST STORIES Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal The Copa Libertadores champion will represent South America in the semifinals against the African champion or the winner of a preliminary-round game between Al Ain and Oceania champion Team Wellington. Al Ain will enter as the host nation’s champion, joining the six continental champions.FIFA wants to launch a 24-team Club World Cup in 2021.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’ The FIFA Club World Cup Original Trophy is displayed during the Official Draw for the FIFA Club World Cup UAE 2018 on Tuesday, Sept. 4, 2018, at the FIFA headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland. (Ennio Leanza/Keystone via AP)ZURICH — Real Madrid will face either the champions of Asia or Mexican club Guadalajara in the Club World Cup semifinals.FIFA made the draw Tuesday for the seven-team tournament, which will be played from Dec. 12-22 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments
Resort tragedy…incise wound on neckA post-mortem examination conducted on the body of 18-year-old Ronaldo Gomes has confirmed that his death resulted from his being struck by a boat last weekend while swimming at a resort on the Linden-Soesdyke Highway.Conducted by State Pathologist Dr Nehaul Singh on Wednesday morning, the autopsy found that the teenager died as a result of asphyxiation and incise wound to the neck. Gomes’s body – hands and neck – bore marks that are consistent with injuries caused by the propeller of an outboard engine.Based on the findings of the autopsy, it was determined that the impact of the boat had caused the teenager to lose consciousness, and he subsequently drowned.The lifeless body of Gomes, called “Naldo,” of Norton Street Wortmanville,Dead: Ronaldo GomesGeorgetown, was pulled from the black water at a private resort almost two hours after he had gone missing. Thereafter, it was discovered that the teen’s face was disfigured, and upon enquiring, relatives were told that he had come into contact with a jet-ski earlier in the day.Although that had been the case, the rider of the jet-ski had not reported the incident. It was not until a search had been launched for the teen that someone reportedly told personnel at the resort that the teen had come into contact with one of the jet-skis.Guyana Times understands that the teenager’s body was recovered at the same spot where he had been struck by the jet-ski.The late teenager’s mother, Paula Williams, had called for a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding the tragic death of the former student of both the Business School and School of the Nations.“If you are in a boat driving, and it hits even a coconut shell, the driver will know he hit something… What is more worrying too, is the fact that when an alarm was raised that my son was missing, there were no life guards and workers of the resort present to help look for him,” the aggrieved mother told Guyana Times earlier this week.However, after the post mortem had been conducted, relatives were told by the Police that any step forward would have to be via private actions.“They said if we want (to) go ahead, we can take legal action against [the resort],” a cousin said. The family is adamant that they will not let the matter go until they get justice for the teenager.
FOLLOWING his clearance in London today, the judge in the John Downey case ruled that so-called ‘On The Runs’ had been given a guarantee by the British government that they would not face prosecution.It was part of a deal between the British and Sinn Fein during the peace process.Mr Justice Sweeney said: “When the defendant received his [2007 assurance] letter he was entitled to and did believe that it was the product of careful and competent further work, and that there had been a genuine and correct change of mind about him – particularly given that he was a supporter of the peace process. “However, that assurance was wholly wrong… thus, as the prosecution conceded, the defendant was wholly misled.“Clearly, and notwithstanding [the Good Friday Agreement], the public interest in ensuring that those who are accused of serious crime should be tried is a very strong one with the plight of the victims and their families firmly in mind.“However, in the very particular circumstances of this case it seems to me that it is very significantly outweighed in the balancing exercise by the overlapping public interests in ensuring that executive misconduct does not undermine public confidence in the criminal justice system and bring it into disrepute, and the public interest in holding officials of the state to promises they have made in full understanding of what is involved in the bargain.“Hence I have concluded that this is one of those rare cases in which, in the particular circumstances, it offends the court’s sense of justice and propriety to be asked to try the defendant.”The Hyde Park attack is one of the most significant unsolved IRA bombings of The Troubles. One other person was convicted in relation to the deaths before being later cleared on appeal.The bomb that Mr Downey was accused of planting was the first of two that day in London and he was allegedly linked to the attack by fingerprints found on a parking ticket bought for the car used to transport the bomb.In the second explosion, less than two hours later, seven Royal Green Jackets bandsmen in a Regent’s Park bandstand were killed.JOHN DOWNEY: JUDGE SAID HE HAD GUARANTEE was last modified: February 25th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:John Downeyjudgement